Inchicore is the English pronunciation of ‘Inse Chór’ which means ‘Island of Sheep’. The name refers to the fact that the current village is built on fields that were once used as holding areas for sheep brought in from the country to be sold at the city’s markets. It was a convenient location, with lush grassland fed by the Camac river, on its way to join the river Liffey.
The first major change in the area was the opening of the Grand Canal which, in 1804, began carrying people and cargo from Dublin City, across the country, to the Shannon River system. The canal remains a beautiful asset to the area.
Inchicore’s real growth, however, can be traced back to the origin of Ireland’s railways. The Dublin-Kingstown (now Dunlaoghaire) Railway began operation in 1834, setting off an engineering revolution. To meet the growing need for the building and maintenance of locomotives, steam engines and carriages, The Inchicore Railway Works began operation in 1846, with 39 employees. By 1976 there were over 1,000 people employed in a complex covering 30 hectares.
Sandwiched between the canal and the Liffey, Inchicore is one of Dublin’s best kept secrets. A stone’s throw from the bustle of the city centre, with The Phoenix Park, The Royal Hospital, IMMA, The War mMemorial Park and Kilmainham Goal on its doorstep.